Friday, November 5, 2010

Not Going to Check or Rationalize!!!!!

So, returning back from a trip to K-Mart for something to do this morning...my daughter fell asleep in the car, whew, because she was Cranky and I really was not feeling up to rocking her upstairs when we got back because I'm tired, I only got 3 choppy hours of sleep last night.  I feel inclined to explain why so that people don't question my parental techniques in terms of a sleeping baby but...I'll refrain and let you think what you want, whatever that may be.
When we got back, I carried her upstairs to her bedroom in her carseat with her jacket on and I was so tired and so worried about waking her up, I snuck back downstairs as quickly as I could and then descended further away from her into our basement/den area to curl up on the couch and read.  So, then I began obsessing about whether she would overheat with her jacket on strapped in her carseat because she does tend to sweat and get hot when that happens and then I went into she will overheat and die and whose fault would that be MINE! So, my immediate inclination is to swiftly tiptoe back upstairs to the emergency at hand unbutton her coat and if I'm lucky leave her sleeping still (fat chance she'll stay asleep from that) relieve my anxiety so I can relax and read.  But, I'm not going to do this, I am going to leave her up there even she is warm let me rephrase that.....OVERHEATING!  And yes, there is a chance that she may die as a result of this but I am choosing to stay down here anyways.  The thing with exposure work is I always think "yes sounds good but...this could be the .1% that doing an exposure could result in negligence and harm to my daughter and so on this particular scenario, I need to fullfill the need to check and "make better."  And the answer to that "what if" is....right, this could be the .1% that happens and I'm still choosing to do the exposure, even though right now that's really really really really HARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment